CARLA Summer Institutes 2016
The Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA) at the University of Minnesota is celebrating 20 years of providing high-quality professional development for language teachers. Launched in 1996, this internationally known program reflects CARLA's commitment to link research and theory with practical applications for the classroom. Each institute is highly interactive and includes discussion, theory-building, hands-on activities, and plenty of networking opportunities.
Who Participates in the CARLA Summer Institutes?
CARLA summer institute participants - more than 4,600 to date - have come from every state and countries all over the world. They have included foreign language, immersion, and ESL teachers at all levels of instruction, as well as program administrators, curriculum specialists, and language teacher educators.
We invite you to join us this year!
CARLA Summer Institutes 2015
CARLA celebrated a successful conclusion to the centers' 20th annual summer institute program at the end of July! This year CARLA offered 12 week-long face-to-face summer institutes during June and July. In addition, CARLA offered four online summer institute options, one of which was funded through the STARTALK program for the third consecutive year.
As in years past, language teachers from all over the world attended the CARLA summer institutes–either in person or virtually. Check out these impressive statistics:
- 363 participants engaged in CARLA-sponsored professional development programs this summer: 336 participants enrolled in the CARLA summer institute program while27 teachers of less commonly taught languages participated in the STARTALK online course.
- 14 summer institutes and two pilot programs were sponsored by CARLA in 2015.
- CARLA offered four online options this year with a total enrollment of 62 virtual participants.
- The largest summer institute–Immersion 101–had a total enrollment of 80 immersion educators.
- Participants hailed from 35 states plus Washington D.C.
- 11 countries were represented at the institutes this year--The Bahamas, Bahrain, Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Mexico, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, and Spain.
- CARLA served teachers of 17 languages: Arabic, Chinese, EFL/ESL, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Italian, Japanese, Ojibwe, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Turkish..
It is clear from reading the institute evaluations that these professional development opportunities make a significant difference for language teachers and their students. Comments by participants show that CARLA is seen as the “go to” center for resources and support for language instruction, and they greatly appreciate that our instructors are some of the best in the field.
Check out a few of the photos and "quotable quotes" from the past year's summer institute program:
The institutes have been developed and are supported,
in part, by the U.S. Department
of Educations Title VI Language Resource Center program. The summer institutes are co-sponsored by the University of Minnesotas College
of Education and Human Development and College
of Liberal Arts.