CARLA Summer Institutes 2014
The 19th annual CARLA summer institute program featured ten week-long face-to-face summer institutes and two online summer institutes, one of which was funded through the STARTALK program for the second consecutive year. As in years past, language teachers from all over the world attended the CARLA summer institutes–either in person or virtually.
Some institute statistics for 2014:
- 312 participants enrolled in the CARLA summer institute program while 25 teachers participated in the STARTALK online program, making a total of 337 participants in CARLA summer programs this year
- 12 summer institutes were offered by CARLA in 2014--the largest of which had 80 registrants
- 52 teachers participated in CARLA’s two online programs
- 98 immersion educators participated in Immersion 101, a unique summer institute targeted at beginning immersion teachers and immersion school administrators
- Participants hailed from 29 states plus Puerto Rico and Washington D.C.
- 11 countries were represented at the institutes this year--Bahrain, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, France, Italy, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Spain and the United Kingdom
- CARLA served teachers of 24 languages: Arabic, Bahasa Indonesia, Chinese, Dakota, English (as a Second/Foreign language), Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Italian, Japanese, Kichwa, Korean, Latin, Ojibwe, Portuguese, Russian, Sanskrit, Sauk, Spanish, Swedish, and Urdu.
It is clear from reading the institute evaluations that these professional development opportunities make a significant difference for language teachers and their students. Comments by participants show that CARLA is seen as the “go to” center for resources and support for language instruction, and they greatly appreciate that our instructors are some of the best in the field.
Check out a few of the photos and "quotable quotes" from this year's summer institute program:
CARLA Summer Institutes 2015
The 20th annual CARLA summer institute program will be held in July 2015 at the University of Minnesota. Information about the institutes offered will be available in mid-December 2014. Bookmark this page and check back!
Integrating Theory and Practice
The Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA) at the University of Minnesota has offered a summer institute program for second language teachers since 1996. The institutes offered by CARLA reflect our commitment to connecting research with practice as well as our ongoing mission to share what we've learned with teachers and their second language learners. Linking research and theory with practical applications for the classroom, each institute includes discussion, theory-building, hands-on activities, and networking with colleagues.
Who Participates in the CARLA Summer Institutes?
CARLA summer institute participants - more than 4,000 to date - have come from every state and countries all over the world. They have included foreign language, immersion, and ESL teachers at all levels of instruction, as well as program administrators, curriculum specialists, and language teacher educators.
The institutes have been developed and are supported,
in part, by the U.S. Department
of Educations Title VI Language Resource Center program. The summer institutes are co-sponsored by the University of Minnesotas College
of Education and Human Development and College
of Liberal Arts.